Sunday 1 November 2015

Day 1 of National Novel Writing Month: in which a novel begins

November sees the start of #NaNoWriMo - although maybe it should be renamed GloNoWriMo!

I have decided to take on the challenge this year, despite failing to even write a word last year. But, just to add on the pressure of writing 1,667 words per day for a month, I will chronicle my exploits on this blog.

So, 1st November and the first day of the challenge has passed. Was I successful? I am pleased to say that I smashed through the 1,667 barrier and soared on to 1,806 words - ending at a convenient point of the closure of the first chapter.

My aim will be to build up a habit of writing in the evenings, but today was broken up into three sessions due to (a) it being Sunday and (b) opportunity knocking.

I have decided to stick to my preferred category of Middle-Grade with this novel, but have decided on a Sci-Fi/Dystopian genre. I came up with what I though was a great storyline and have bundles of enthusiasm for seeing this one through to the end! I don't want to give too much away, except that the MC is a young lad named Billy Walker.

Billy has found himself landed in a do or die situation. He has the skills he needs to survive, although he may not be aware of it at the moment - I'm not even sure I am aware of it either. There are a few challenges that I have already planned to throw in his way and have even thought about adding another POV - although I'm not 100% sure on that yet.

Day 1 is complete. Day 2 looms on the horizon. If you're reading this, thanks. The opening blog is likely to be a bit dull, but I guarantee you I will hit the wall shortly and things will get a bit more exciting. I may even release a few excerpts!

If you're taking on the challenge too, let me know and we can hook up on the NaNoWriMo site and/or Twitter.

Happy writings!
Argyle

No comments:

Post a Comment